1. Clairefontaine Notebooks
Clairefontaine has been making paper in France since 1858 and they are committed to controlling the environmental impact of their manufacturing process. They also happen to make notebooks in all sorts of formats that are great for school!
- This paper is made from materials sourced from certified sustainable forests.
- Clairefontaine recycles water, and when it leaves their paper mill this water is cleaner than when it arrived.
- Their paper is chlorine-free.
- Natural water-based vegetable oil pigment ink is used in printing.
- Clairefontaine supplies 80% of their own energy needs.
- They practice recycling and waste reduction.
2. Fountain Pen & Ink
Just how many disposable pens does one student use throughout their entire time spent in school? How about a multitude of students? It’s hard to even imagine the quantity of plastic pens tossed into the trash. Switch to a good fountain pen and you’ve got a pen that can last a lifetime! If you fill your fountain pen with bottled fountain pen ink, you’ll eliminate the need to throw away empty plastic ink cartridges refills. To use bottled ink you’ll want to be sure you have an ink converter or a piston-fill (or similar) fountain pen. Filling a fountain pen with bottled ink while you’re on the road or at school can be a little bit tricky, so I carry 2 fountain pens loaded with ink with me on those intense note-taking days.
3. Refillable Highlighters
Highlighters are another plastic writing tool that usually get tossed in the trash when they’re dried up. Take another step to help ease the strain on the environment by using refillable highlighters. There are many refillable highlighter options you’ve probably never thought of.
- The ultimate long-lasting felt-tip highlighter is one that you can create yourself using Platinum Pens. Here are the instructions – Pen Mods: How to make a long-lasting refillable highlighter pen
- You can use a fountain pen as a highlighter – there is no felt tip that wears out on a fountain pen! Read about my personal experience: Using Fountain Pens and Calligraphy Pens as Highlighters.
- There are several choices of highlighters that are made to be refilled with either ink cartridges, eye dropper fill or via recharging stations. You’ll find the details in our Refillable Felt-Tip Highlighters blog post. These include the Staedtler Textsurfer Classic, Platinum Preppy Highlighters and Tombow Twin Highlighters.
- You can also try out the D.I.Y. method of recharging highlighters.
4. Book Darts
Book Darts are paper-thin metal line-markers that slide onto the page of a book and are used as place-finders for facts, quotes, key points and passages that you want to refer to later. They do not stain or damage paper and eliminate the need to highlight, underline, bend page corners or use paper clips or sticky notes. These light-weight metal darts can be reused over and over again for a lifetime. You don’t have to know all the answers, just where to find them!
5. Quo Vadis Academic Planner
What makes Quo Vadis academic planners different than other academic planners? They are full of earth-friendly Clairefontaine paper and most of them have covers that can be refilled every year with a new calendar insert. In addition, your fountain pen will write amazingly well on super-smooth 90g Clairefontaine paper. Academic planners are the must have tool to juggle a busy class schedule.
What environmentally friendly back to school supplies would you like to recommend?by